DeMeritt Forest History
The DeMeritt University Forest was named for Dwight B. Demeritt in 1971 in recognition of his work to procure the land for the University of Maine. Four tracts of government land near UMaine(ca. 2,000 acres) when it was acquired by lease in 1939 and then by deed in 1955. The DeMeritt University Forest has played a key role in education, research, demonstrations, and training of students. It is a haven for wildlife and members of the University community. Its 15+ miles of trails are ideal for walkers, joggers, cyclists, equestrians. During the winter months, skiers and snowshoe enthusiasts are welcome to enjoy its many trails as well. Campus Recreation maintains the trails.